Сultural heritage & traditions
Ukraine is a land of tourism, with the ancient history, outstanding culture and great distinctive folk traditions!
The unique cultural and historical heritage represents the unique architectural monuments:
- of the “Kievan Rus” period (IX – XII centuries) in Kiev, Chernigiv;
- architectural religious ensembles and palace complexes in Kiev, Chernigiv, Lvіv and Odessa Regions;
- castles & defence fortresses in Lutsk, Medzhybozh, Kamianets-Podolski, Khotyn, Belhorod-Dnestrovsky, Uzhgorod, Mukachevo;
- ancient wooden Churches in the Western Ukraine;
- monuments related to the heritage of Cossacks, national-liberation war of 1648-1654 and World War II;
- open air architectural and ethnographic museums scancens in Kiev, Pereyaslav-Khmelnitskiy, Lvіv, Uzhgorod, Chernivtsi
The most prominent historical and cultural monuments are located in Kiev, Chernigiv, Lviv, Odessa, Western Ukraine. Many of these unique architectural monuments are included into the UNESCO
World Heritage List:
- Saint-Sophia Cathedral and Related Monastic Buildings, Holy Dormition Kiev Pechersk Lavra Church of the Saviour at Berestove in Kiev;
- the Ensemble of the Historic Centre of Lviv;
- Residence of Bukovinian and Dalmatian Metropolitans in Chernivtsi;
- ancient wooden Churches Carpathian, Lviv Regions & others
The Seven Wonders of Ukraine represent seven cultural and historical wonders of the country that were selected in the Seven Wonders of Ukraine contest on July, 2007:
- Kiev Pechersk Lavra
- Saint-Sophia Cathedral
- Kamianets National Historic-Architectural Reserve
- Khotyn Fortress
- Sofiyivsky Park
- Chersonesos Taurica (Khersones Tavriysky)
Ukraine has long-standing traditions of handicraft, typical of all parts of the country: embroidery, wood carving, ceramics, carpets, hand bags, toys making, weaving, incrustation, pyrogravure, etc.
During the visits to these museums tourists not only get familiar with the life, architecture and traditions of the Ukrainian people, but have a chance to watch folk song and dance ensembles.